What causes algae to produce toxins?
‘ This occurs when nutrients (mainly phosphorus, nitrogen, and carbon) from sources such as lawns and farmlands flow downriver to the sea and build up at a rate that ‘overfeeds’ the algae that exist normally in the environment. People often get sick by eating shellfish containing toxins produced by these algae.
What causes overgrowth of algae called?
Excess nitrogen and phosphorus cause an overgrowth of algae in a short period of time, also called algae blooms. Harmful algal blooms are mainly the result of a type of algae called cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae.
Which algae can produce toxins?
Harmful algae and cyanobacteria (sometimes called blue-green algae) can produce toxins (poisons) that can make people and animals sick and affect the environment. Learn more about them to keep you and your pets safe. Algae and cyanobacteria are simple, plant-like organisms that live in the water.
What are the symptoms of algae?
Common symptoms experienced include:
- sore throat.
- eye irritation.
What diseases are caused by algae?
Types of illness that can be caused by eating seafood contaminated with toxins from harmful algae:
- Ciguatera Fish Poisoning (CFP)
- Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning (NSP)
- Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP)
- Domoic Acid Poisoning and Amnesiac Shellfish Poisoning (ASP)
- Diarrheic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP)
Why is too much algae bad?
Too much nitrogen and phosphorus in the water causes algae to grow faster than ecosystems can handle. Large growths of algae are called algal blooms and they can severely reduce or eliminate oxygen in the water, leading to illnesses in fish and the death of large numbers of fish.
What disease can algae cause?
Drinking algae-affected water or consuming food (such as fish or shellfish) containing toxins can lead to gastroenteritis, which can induce vomiting, diarrhoea, fevers and headaches. These toxins may also affect the liver or nervous system.
What are the negative effects of algae?
Exposure to high levels of blue-green algae and their toxins can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting; skin, eye or throat irritation; and allergic reactions or breathing difficulties.